Just as the trees need water to grow, the soul needs the Qur’an to nurture it. Qur’an helps nourish the soul, body and mind, reminding us constantly of our purpose in the world, as well as protecting us from shaytan. Let’s take a quick look at some points about the Holy Qur’an that every Muslim ought to know. They are easy to remember and quite interesting. Here we go!
1. The word Qur’an means ‘The Recitation’.
2. The Quran is also called- Al Furqaan (The Criterion of Judgement), Al-Kitaab (the book), Al-Karim (the noble), Al- Noor (the light), and Al-Huda (right guidance).
3. It has 114 chapters; 30 Juz (parts), 540 paragraphs and 6236 verses.
4. The Quran was first revealed in the Cave of Hira in Mecca to our beloved Prophet (pbuh) at the age of 40.
5. The Quran was revealed on a night called the Night of Power (Lailatul- Qadr) in the month of Ramadhan.
6. It was revealed by the Angel Jibreel (Alaihis Salaam).
7. Allah is the Guardian of the Holy Quran.
8. The conditions for holding the Quran are; being clean and being in the state of Wudhu (ablution)
9. The Surah which is named after the tribe of Prophet Muhammed (SAW) is Quraish.
10. The first verse about Sajdah (prostration) is in Surah 7 (An Najm) verse 206.
11. The name ‘Rasoolulah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) is mentioned 4 times, and the name Ahmed is mentioned once.
12. The number of Prophets mentioned in the Quran is 25.
13. The most mentioned and discussed Prophet is Musa (alayhi salaam).
14. The five Kaathibe- Wahi (copyists of the revelations) of Al-Quran are: Abu Bakr (R.A), Usman (R.A), Ali (R.A), Zaid Bin Harith (R.A) , and Abdullah bin Masood (R.A)
15. The Surahs which start with ‘Tabarak Kallazi’ are Surah Mulk & Surah Furqaan.
16. The oldest Masjid (house of worship) mentioned in Quran is The Kaaba.
17. The man mentioned in the Quran whose body would be kept as an admonition for generations to come is the body of Fira’un (Pharaoh).
18. The Surah that does not start with Bismillah is Surah Tawbah.
19. The Surah in which Bismillah is mentioned twice is Surah Naml.
20. The longest Surah in Quran is Surah Al-Baqarah.
21. The shortest Surah is Surah Qausar (Kauthar).
22. The longest verse in the Quran is in Surah Al Baqarah, verse number 282
23. The most disliked but halaal act mentioned in the Quran is Divorce.
24. The surahs that start with Alhamdulillah are- Al Fatihah, Al An’aam, Kahf, Saba and Faathir.
25. The surahs that start with one letter are- Qaf, Sawd and Noon.
26. The Surah in which Allah is repeated about 40 times is Surah Mujadilah.
27. The different names used for Satan or Devil in Quran are Iblees and Ash-Shaytaan.
28. The relative of the Prophet (pbuh) whose name is mentioned in Quran is Abu Lahab (111:1)
29. The Surah regarded as the Heart of Quran is Surah Ya-Sin (chapter 36)
30. The only woman whose name is personally mentioned in the Quran is Maryam (R.A).
31. Ayatul Kursi (verse of the Throne) is found in Surah Al Baqarah (2:255)
32. The Surah that has the most names of Allah SWT mentioned is Surah Al Hashr.
33. The other name given to Madinah in the Quran is Yathrib.
34. Five mosques are mentioned in the Quran. They are- Masjid-ul-Haram, Masjid-ul-Zarar, Masjid-ul-Nabawwi, Masjid-ul-Aqsa and Masjid Quba.
35. Five angels mentioned by their name in Quran are: Jibreel (AS) (Archangel), Meekaa’eel (AS) (distributed sustenance), Harut (AS), Marut (AS), and Maalik (AS) (gatekeeper of hell).